WORKING FOR SOUTHWICK
For over 40 years the Southwick Society has been working to protect the interests of Southwick and Fishersgate.
WHAT DO WE DO?
- We campaign on local issues such as the preservation of the war memorial, the proposed redevelopment of Shoreham Harbour and the upkeep of the town centre.
- Local planning matters are examined and commented upon.
- We plant trees in suitable locations and provide public seating with the co-operation of the district and county councils.
- We arrange local history walks and topical outings for both our members and non-members.
- We publish local history books.
- We run The Manor Cottage Heritage Centre.
- We encourage educational visits to the cottage and have developed strong links with local schools for this purpose.
- We hold regular meetings and talks for our members on topics of local interest.
- We take part in the annual Adur Festival, Museums at Night and National Heritage Open Days.
- We co-operate with other amenity groups.
We are currently pressing West Sussex County Council to put heritage lighting around The Green when the old light columns are replaced.
We were pleased to support local residents with their project to renovate the rest garden in Croft Avenue, now re-named Southwick Square Garden.