Southwick Roman Villa


Model of how the Roman Villa may have looked

A Villa, which dates from the first century AD, stood on the site now occupied by the Southwick Methodist Church at the junction of Manor Hall Road and Southwick Street. It was one of the most important villas in Sussex and the last major excavation of it was in the 1930’s just before, unfortunately, Manor Hall Road was driven through part of it. Nevertheless, the Villa still generates much interest and the the Manor Cottage Heritage Centre has a permanent exhibition about its history and the various efforts at excavating the site. There is a model of the Villa and a selection of Roman artefacts that the Southwick Society holds.

       
Roman finds on display at the Manor Cottage


Postcard of the villa on sale at the Manor Cottage.