News

New Book published


The Southwick Society has published a new local history book. Written by Southwick Society chairman, Mary Candy, it explores some of the long-lost places often referred to by locals; Hobden’s Cottage, Hope Cottage, Crab House, the Egg Field, the Indian Temple, the Mystery Towers and more.

Mary said “Living very close to the parish church I was particularly interested in the mysterious Hobden’s Cottage which had somehow managed to leave its front garden wall in the middle of Church Lane and the Indian Temple which had apparently towered over Ivy Lodge at the end of the same road. What was an Indian temple doing, not just in Southwick, but in someone’s back garden? Then there was the Egg Field, Crab House and the pond on Southwick Green; where exactly had they been and what did they look like?”

Drawing on extensive research as well as personal memories of Southwick residents, written records and photographs from the Society’s own archives Mary has pulled together a picture of what these places once looked
like and how they have left their legacy on our town.

One important find was the diary notes of Mr Frank Chandler New, the son of Southwick’s schoolmaster Elisha New. In 1891 the family lived in the School House on the Green. After Elisha’s death they moved to Spring Gardens. Frank was a stationer’s clerk and never married. These reminiscences were obviously never intended for publication, written as they are in note form. They do, however, give us a wonderful insight into the changes taking place in Southwick at the turn of the century. They cover a period between 1895 and 1906 and mainly concern the goings on around the Green; including references to Kingsfield House, Hope Cottage, Lady Wasteney’s Indian temple and the filling in of Southwick’s pond.

Copies cost £5 and may be obtained by telephoning Mary on 01273 596127 or by emailing southwicksociety@gmail.com




Beating the Bounds

On Rogation Sunday (May 10th) Nigel Divers led a group around Southwick for the ancient custom of Beating the Bounds.

Following as closely as practicable we walked the ancient boundaries of Southwick starting along Albion Street, up Kingston Lane over the Downs to Hazelbolt Bottom and back along the boundary footpath to Southwick Canal. Along the way Nigel pointed out places of interest such as the "Rest and be Thankful" Sarsen stone and the Romano-British settlement of Thundersbarrow.

                

Nigel Divers at the "Rest and be Thankful" Sarsen Stone.                 The most northerly point of the boundary at Hazelbolt Bottom.

If you wish to do the walk yourself Nigel has written a guide "Beating the Bounds of Southwick" which is available at the price of £2.






More Memories of Southwick by Ted Heasman

New book published by the Southwick Society

 

The Southwick Society launched, “More Memories of Southwick”, a new book about Southwick’s history, at the Manor Cottage, Heritage Centre, Southwick Street, Southwick on Saturday 15 March 2014

The morning went really well with over 100 people visiting the Manor Cottage and over 120 copies of the book sold in two hours (that's one a minute!) Ted signed all the books and reminisced with many friends who had come to buy copies. Visitors were also able to sit and look through Ted's photograph albums which he had brought along for people to browse through.

The book follows on from the hugely successful Memories of Southwick and Kingston Buci which was published in 2009. Both books were compiled by Southwick Society chairman, Mary Candy, from some of the 100+ articles written by Ted for the Shoreham Herald Bygones column between 2002 and 2013.

During his working life in Southwick Ted was well-known as a window cleaner and the front cover of the new book appropriately carries a picture of him on his first day at work.

This latest book delves into the fascinating stories of 
·        
The Green·        
S P B Mais·        
Southwick Fire Brigade·        
St Michael and All Angels Church·        
Southwick Urban District Council
Victoria Road and Albert Road

The Green was given to Southwick Urban District Council in 1902 by John Hall. It once had a stream and a pond (which still have a tendency to make their presence felt) and was used for grazing animals and holding fairs. It once had a forge, a barn, schools and a wheelwright’s shop and still has several ancient houses. Cricket has been played here for 200 years and it has even been used a camp for Royal Marines.

S P B Mais was a flamboyant journalist and travel writer who lived on the Green in the 1930s and he achieved local and national fame when he campaigned to keep cricket on the Green in the face of a possible ban.

During the first half of the 20th century Southwick had its own Fire Brigade which dealt with local emergencies and served valiantly in the Second World War both in Southwick and in the Blitz on Portsmouth.

St Michael's Church although heavily altered over the years has been part of Southwick since Saxon times. Despite the attentions of restorers, 19th century fire and wartime bombing it is out oldest building.

From 1899 to 1974 Southwick was governed by its own Urban District Council. These were the years when Southwick was transformed from a rural and maritime village to a small town and it was the Southwick UDC which guided and influenced much of this development and much of what we enjoy today is thanks to them. To give but two examples they saved the Green from development and bought land for the Community Centre.

Victoria Road and Albert Road were named after Queen Victoria and her Consult Prince Albert. Most of the buildings in these two roads were built towards the end of Queen Victoria’s reign, although there are some more modern buildings in Victoria Road.

                                                                                                    
      

                                       
Pictured above Ted hands Mary her signed copy at the book launch in the Manor Cottage.

Copies cost £5 and may be obtained by telephoning Mary on 01273 596127

SOCIETY’S 40TH ANNIVERSARY
 

The Society was formed in 1973 and the anniversary was marked with an exhibition in the Cottage telling the story of its formation and of the restoration of the Manor Cottage.  
The exhibition was opened by the Chairman of Adur District Councillor Mike Mendoza unveiling new information boards in the Cottage, another step in our  project to tell the story of Southwick.


Society Chairman, Mary Candy watches councillor Mendoza cut the ribbon on the new boards


                            
Mary Candy, Michael Allen (President of the Society), Nigel Divers (Society Secretary) and Councillor Mendoza.

Nigel Divers, who has been the Society's Secretary since the beginning was presented with a certificate marking his 40 years’ service to the Society.







Keep an eye out for postings of announcements of the Society's events on the notice board outside the Manor Cottage.